When I like to make a point, more often than not I use a spreadsheet to back it up. I used to just keep these spreadsheets to myself, but I thought maybe somebody out there might find them interesting.

Monday, April 19, 2010

Earthquakes

The media sure seems obsessed lately with earthquakes. Anytime there is an earthquake in the states it makes the news, or if there is any earthquake >6 in magnitude in the world, we hear about it. I'm not used to seeing so much earthquake coverage, and I think it's started to create a little bit of paranoia. I decided to look at earthquake activity over the past 10 years. The data below represents earthquakes greater than 6.0 anywhere in the world. I grouped the data by 12 month intervals, so past year represents April 2009 to April 2010. So each interval starts and ends in April.

Cycle Average Magnitude >6 >7 >8
Past Year 6.37 187 14 2
Year +1 6.35 160 9 0
Year +2 6.40 196 18 1
Year +3 6.33 177 10 3
Year +4 6.37 118 10 0
Year +5 6.38 179 14 3
Year +6 6.35 168 11 1
Year +7 6.36 138 12 0
Year +8 6.37 131 11 1
Year +9 6.39 175 14 0

As you can see in the data, there are a whole lot of 6.0 earthquakes every year. On average one every 2 to 3 days. This past year doesn't even have the most of the past decade. We also haven't seen an unusual number with magnitudes greater than 7 or 8, and the average magnitude of all greater than 6 is once again fairly average. What we have seen is an increase in earthquake related casualties, but this is only a factor of where the earthquake strikes. The increased casualties has caused the increased paranoia and coverage. However, the world does not appear to be in any more danger from earthquakes than usual. Actually, that's not entirely true. As the population of the world grows and concentrations of people grow, the chances that an earthquake will hit a densely populated area also grows.

1 comment:

  1. Well that is good to hear ;) Once again the media hypes things way to much. That is why instead of the news at night, we watch the Jetsons.

    I love my little bubble.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

I like sports, science, and technology. Most posts will probably fall into those categories.